When I was still new to hunting, little did I know that there were different strategies I could use and follow. One of the most interesting ones was to use the best turkey decoys, which are known to help attract your game. This is best for those who are hunting turkey either for the thrill of it or something to put on the plate this coming Thanksgiving!
But there’s more to using turkey decoys than you’d expect. If you’re wondering where to begin, I did the research for you. So read on as I show you the ultimate purchasing guide on turkey decoys to help you out!
Quick Comparison: Top Turkey Decoys
|1|| AvianX Feeder Turkey Decoy|
|11.6 x 11.1 x 4.9 inches||3.3 pounds||Read customer reviews|
|Primos Hunting Gobstopper Jake and Hen Decoy||21 x 15 x 10 inches||5 pounds||Read customer reviews|
|3||MONTANA DECOY: Miss Purr-FECT||17 x 13 x 3 inches||1.85 pounds||Read customer reviews|
|Flambeau Turkey Love Triangle Set Decoy||14.6 x 9.9 x 7.5 inches||9.4 ounces||Read customer reviews|
|5||Mojo Decoys HW2308 Mojo Shake n’ Jake||19 x 13 x 13 inches||9 pounds||Read customer reviews|
**Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
The Five Best Turkey Decoys
Based on my tests, research, and overall customer reviews, these are the five best turkey decoys you can invest in today:
1. The Strong and Durable: AvianX Feeder Turkey Decoy
What makes the AvianX Feeder Turkey Decoy one of the best turkey decoys in my book is because of how stung and durable it is! Since it’s made of Dura-Rubber, it’s not only lightweight but can also withstand mild weather conditions like wind and the like. Plus, it’s less susceptible to dents and creasing, making it worth the price and allowing it to stay as realistic as possible.
This is a feeder hen decoy which would give turkeys confidence when approaching, looking as real as possible. When placed properly, it can attract a number of turkeys. Plus, based on its solid construction, I feel like it can last for years of usage. It’s not the cheapest (it’s moderately priced), but it’s worth the extra bucks.
- Made of Dura-Rubber to prevent creases and dents
- Super realistic and can attract turkeys easily
- Solid construction built to last
- Decoys become stiff during cold weather
- It may not hold air as best as expected
2. The Lightweight and Easy to Carry: Primos Hunting Gobstopper Jake and Hen Decoy
If you’re focusing more on a product that’s easy to carry around while finding your spot in the field, then I recommend the Primos Hunting Gobstopper Jake and Hen Decoy. What I appreciate about it is that it comes in a package of both jake and hen, making my hunting strategy even clearer.
As for its looks, it has the realistic features that can attract curiosity without blowing the cover. Plus, it’s very compact, having the collapsible body and coming with a mesh carry bag to make it easier to move around. It provides the accurate results and I can say it’s a great purchase for the package!
- Realistic look and package improves hunting strategy
- Lightweight and easy to carry with a mesh bag
- Has metal stakes to ensure it stays in place
- A bit flimsy and sometimes moves if not put in properly
- Some complaints of receiving it with a few deformations (which can be fixed)
3. The Realistic-Looking and Easy to Adjust: MONTANA DECOY: Miss Purr-FECT
For those who want a hen decoy that’s easy to adjust, then you’ll appreciate the MONTANA DECOY: Miss Purr-FECT. It looks very realistic and I commend it for its feather cuts, which makes it move to the wind and have it look as true as possible.
But it isn’t just its realistic look I like, but the fact I can adjust it to, however, pose I want! There are three poses to adjust it to, whether you want a breeder, feeder, or looker hen to attract toms and jakes. It’s easy to adjust the position and since it’s lightweight, it’s also pretty easy to carry around. Its realistic look and lightweight features are what makes it worth the price.
- Very lightweight and has a collapsible body
- Forms quickly and easy to adjust
- It can be used in many poses depending on your strategy
- Has no feathers and feather cuts are cloth
- A bit confusing to scrunch up the body at first
4. The Good Package and Luring: Flambeau Turkey Love Triangle Set Decoy
Another excellent package goes to the Flambeau Turkey Love Triangle Set. It’s the perfect decoy to set up for hunting strategies, offering you three foam decoys that can lure dominant toms!
While it isn’t the most realistic looking, it still does the job and attracts turkeys to come to the area, especially when you spread out these three decoys correctly. It has realistic feather patterns and colors, though I can’t comment on its durability yet.
BUT, it comes at such an affordable price for a set of three. These decoys do the job and have given me a ton of hunting opportunities, which is still worth the price.
- Affordable package with great value
- Works well and attracts dominant toms efficiently despite the looks
- Lightweight and can be carried in a bag easily
- Doesn’t look as realistic but still works
- Body isn’t filled out and needs some tweaking
5. The Flawless Design and Battery-Operated: Mojo Decoys HW2308 Mojo Shake n’ Jake
Last but not the least, there’s the Mojo Decoys HW23-8 Mojo Shake n Jake. This is a jake decoy which looks INCREDIBLY realistic that I was pretty impressed when I first unboxed it! While it may be a bit over one’s budget, you’ll definitely see the quality and why it’s priced so.
It has the flawless design and the amazing realistic movements, with a tail that would raise and fan itself while turning naturally (it’s battery-operated and remote-operated, moving how you want it to do). Plus, it comes with a bag to easily transport and bring it around. You get more than what you pay for and is a great investment if you want something that looks so real and effective.
- Flawless design and incredibly realistic design
- Has attracted many turkeys I took down
- Easy to use and movement can be operated with a remote
- A bit heavy to carry to the field
- Batteries not included
Why Are Turkey Decoys So Helpful?
Before I owned a turkey decoy, I was using other hunting strategies, which helped me with catching a game. However, capturing turkeys and other birds is a bit different from deer hunting, and I needed to step up my game to find out how to hunt one down besides using the right weapons.
That’s when I learned about turkey decoys. It has so many benefits to offer, such as:
Attracts Birds and Gobblers Easily
The main benefit of getting a turkey decoy is the fact that they are able to attract your game so easily (as long as you strategize properly). Just like using deer decoys, turkeys will start to get interested in who’s there and what they are doing in the area, beckoning them to check the newcomer. After all, turkeys are sociable creatures!
Lightweight and Easy to Carry
Another thing I love about turkey decoys is that most of them are very lightweight and easy to carry. However, just because they are lightweight doesn’t mean they aren’t strong! Once fully set up, it will move naturally and do its job without tumbling off. But again, this is depending on your strategy and quality of the turkey decoy you invest in.
Easy to Setup and Adjust
I like following hunting strategies that are easy to do but still provides the same effectivity as “tougher” ones. With a turkey decoy, I enjoy that it’s easy to set up. Simply find the right place to place it in and install the stake. Adjust according to the type of bird you want to attract, and begin waiting for your game to visit.
How to Select the Best Turkey Decoys
Using a turkey decoy holds a ton of benefits, but that’s only if you select the one suitable for your hunts! It isn’t just about getting the first turkey decoy and expecting results immediately. Here are some helpful tips and factors to consider when making your selection:
Strength and Durability of Materials
Make sure that you select turkey decoys from trusted brands and companies. That way, you’re assured that they are made of the quality materials made to withstand winds and whatever the weather is throughout the day. It should also be able to stay strong and unsusceptible from wear and tear. You’ll get your money’s worth and not have to worry about it falling while your game is trying to visit it.
Realistic Look and Mobility
This is one of the most crucial factors to consider. If the turkey decoy doesn’t look like a real turkey, then don’t expect to find your game flocking to it. Turkeys are smart and can detect if the decoy doesn’t look or feel real! With that being said, focus on getting a decoy that looks and moves as realistically as possible.
There are three kinds of turkey decoys:
- Tom turkey decoys are one of the most common, which can attract fellow toms.
- Jake turkey decoys are less intimidating, a young male turkey that can attract dominant toms or hens.
- Hen turkey decoys are best used during the spring breeding season, attracting many male turkeys.
Lightweight and Easy to Carry
Getting a strong and lightweight turkey decoy will help when going around the field looking for a suitable area to place your decoy at. That way, you won’t have to lug heavy pieces of equipment and you’ll have no trouble carrying the turkey decoy without the extra weight. Try to avoid something heavy, as this can create noise or weigh you down.
Price and Package
I try to make sure that I get the best value for whatever hunting equipment I purchase. With that being said, I love getting packages for my turkey decoys because I need more than one whenever I’m out hunting. By getting two or three turkey decoys in one package, I get the best of my money without having to purchase separately.
Turkey Decoy Strategies to Improve Your Hunt
Now that you’re familiar with the benefits and how to select the best turkey decoys, how can you properly use them to ensure a successful hunt? Here are some strategies and tips to follow when using your decoy:
- I recommend that you use several decoys (though do not use a huge flock, which can intimidate!) and spread it out a little to make it more natural.
- Face your decoys sideways and angled away from you to avoid being spotted by turkeys. Also, keep them in plain sight to be seen.
- Know your range when placing the turkey decoy. If you can pattern your shotgun at about 60 yards, then place the decoys 30 yards away from you.
- Use the right decoys depending on the season and what types of toms to attract. Gobblers will be less receptive to aggressive decoy postures after the breeding season. Younger birds are more attracted to jake decoys for fighting. Hen decoys are much more receptive during the breeding season, especially when you place a jake decoy nearby.
Check out this helpful video showing you more about other turkey decoy strategies and when to use them:
Wrapping It Up
While owning the right weapons and ammunition is a huge factor in hunting, so are using the right strategies to attract your game. By using a turkey decoy, you’ll be able to have turkeys and gobblers come in for you to bring home proudly. With its many benefits and the right way to use them, you truly get your money’s worth.
Of all the different kinds of turkey decoys tried and tested, I believe that the AvianX Feeder Turkey Decoy is one of the top ones available. It looks just like a feeder hen and shows the realistic features of one that can give birds and turkeys confidence when approaching it. Plus, I also appreciate its stability, staying in one place while still allowing movement of the decoy.
It looks and moves naturally without it spinning (which can put off your game). And because it’s made of the durable materials, it will last and there’s no worry about dents or damage during the day.
Hopefully, this article on the best turkey decoys gave you an idea on what you should begin investing in today. So don’t wait any longer and look into any of these products now!
If you have any questions or want to share your tips and reviews on any of these decoys, then comment below. Your thoughts are much appreciated.