Hunting isn’t just a form of recreation or sport in the US; it is a way of life. What started as a necessity for survival soon turned into a much-loved tradition, as is evident from the number of people participating in this sport in the US. In 2020 alone, over 15,000 people hunted regularly, and many more participated in the sport occasionally.
However, while hunting is a great deal of fun, there’s much more to it than simply grabbing your gun and searching for a great hunting spot. Another thing participants need to do is take care of their hunting equipment.
Taking care of and maintaining hunting equipment will help it to last longer and work more efficiently. If you want to know how to maintain yours, check out the article below. We’ll talk you through some top hunting equipment maintenance tips:
1. Purchase a Cleaning Kit
A cleaning kit is one of the best items any hunter can invest in. A cleaning kit contains everything you need to keep your knives, guns, and scopes in perfect condition. And, while it is possible to purchase a readymade kit, you can also make one up yourself. Here’s an example of some of the things you should include in a cleaning kit:
- Rods – hunters can connect their various cleaning items to rods to clean the barrels of guns properly.
- Patches – these work alongside cleaning fluids to clean firearms thoroughly.
- Jags – jags are used to hold the patches to prevent them from being forced through the barrel.
- Various brushes – your cleaning kit should contain a bronze brush to remove built-up dirt and a nylon brush to clean the sensitive parts of the firearm.
- Cotton buds – cotton buds can be used for more detailed cleaning.
- Cleaning chemicals – the chemicals in your kit should clean and protect your weapon.
- Bore snake – if you want to clean the barrel of your firearm quickly and efficiently, this is an excellent piece of kit.
2. Store Your Firearms Properly
Once your weapons have been cleaned, you must put them away somewhere secure. One of the best options is a locked cabinet or a gun safe. You also need to ensure that your weapon is kept in a dry location to prevent it from becoming damaged.
And it’s not just your firearm that you need to store correctly. When buying ammo, lots of people choose to buy in bulk. If you’re one of these individuals, you will also need to ensure you store this properly. Ammo that has not been stored in a secure dry location can damage your weapon.
3. Don’t Forget About Your Hunting Clothes and Boots
As well as keeping your firearm clean, it’s also essential to clean your hunting clothes and boots. You should wash your hunting clothes regularly and mend any holes you spot. As well as this, you should clean your boots after each hunt to help them to last longer.
4. Take Care of Your Optics
One of the most important tools a hunter can have is their optics. This tool allows you to track your hunt safely, which is essential for taking accurate shots. It is also one of the most expensive pieces of kit you will purchase. Due to this, hunters must do everything possible to keep their optics in good condition. You can do this by regularly cleaning and maintaining it.
Hunters see their hunting equipment and gear as an investment. Hunting gear can be extremely expensive, so hunters want to do everything they can to keep it in good condition so that it lasts for many seasons. Thankfully, this isn’t as difficult as you’d expect. If you follow the tips above, your hunting gear will remain in excellent condition for years to come.